Thursday, March 10, 2011

Glass Deck

After having glassed the bottom of the board, I had heaps more conviction to glass the deck. I was going to go crazy with a board design, but figured I'd put my energy into glassing properly, so I screen printed a little J logo (Jason or Jasper) onto some tissue paper I bought from an art supplier for 20c.

Next I cut the glass in two sheets:
1 was cut to exactly the middle of the rail all around the board. This was kind of a neat fit. The next sheet of glass was cut with a 2inch lap. I also cut some extra pieces for the tail to help strengthen it.

I took my whole rig outside again and glassed it.

Using the mix I did for the bottom, I laid down a little resin on the foam and stuck down the decals I made. Then I rolled out the mid-rail section of glass, followed by the lapping section. I poured the resin on top (along the stringer) and glassed both sheets at the same time.

It seemed to go pretty well, with a slight difficulty at the swallow tail end. Although I cut V's into the glass sheet, it stretched a little with the resin, and the V's weren't lined up when I had a handful of hot resin. So I kind of lapped them and I'll need to go crazy with the sander to fix them up.

All up, I'm stoked with the final result.

I'll post a video when You Tube lets me upload one.

No comments:

Post a Comment