Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Resurrecting the board

So a year later I decided to have another go at the board.

Its been staring me in the face for 12 months nudging me to fix it up, so I caved in and went for it. Sanding was going to take way to long, so I decided to pull out the trusty planer. I set the planer to a really low trim and started planing the board (including the rails). After a few strokes, the old glass and resin came off. The rails were ruined, so I rough shaped them again with the planer, then re-shaped the board again. It proved to be a real pain to remove the glass from the deck where the rocker curved at the nose - because the planer was so low. If I carved in at it I risked planing half the nose off, and I figured hey the deck won;t really affect performance too much.

This made the board a fair bit smaller - which means I may not be able to surf it. The board is now 5'2, 19 5/8, 2 1/2.

But I am happy to have a blank blank again.

No comments:

Post a Comment