Sunday, January 10, 2010

Get the handsaw

Knowing full well I will make mistakes with the planer and second guessing the outline shape, I started to cut the outline from the foam blank with a regular handsaw. I make sure I leave about 10mm outside the outline. This will leave more work for later, but it will allow me to get the rail edges truly square with the deck and base surface. A must for measuring accurately.













Cutting the foam is a good feeling, the saw goes through the foam like butter - as you would expect. The saw is squeezed with pressure as you cut the curve from the foam block, and I try to keep a constant pressure on to cut it in a smooth curve.



















For the whole, this worked out well, and I have enough room to sure up the rails. I decided not to cut the tail out yet until I am definite on the shape of it. I can now get a sense of how the board looks next to my normal short board:

No comments:

Post a Comment